Wednesday 19 March 2014

Jamrach's Menagerie

Jamrach's Menagerie
by Carol Birch

First published in Great Britain in 2011.

Jamrach's Menagerie was a book I had not heard of before buying it.  I saw it on the shelf and was drawn to the shiny cover (I can be somewhat like a magpie at times).  Upon reading the blurb I decided to add it to my collection, and it was definitely a good decision.  As the story progressed it twisted into something unexpected, but brilliant.

Set in 19th century London, the story introduces us to eight year old Jaffy Brown.  He lives with his mother in a crowded house in Watney Street, with the smell of the sea in the air, making his living by running errands in the market lanes.  One day his life changes when Jaffy meets a tiger, owned by Mr Charles Jamrach – Naturalist and Importer of Animals, Birds and Shells.  Jaffy goes to see Mr Jamrach in his menagerie and is soon helping to look after the exotic animals with his friend Tim.

When Jaffy is fifteen, he signs up to join the crew of a ship called the Lysander, which is setting sail to find a dragon.  This journey will test Jaffy’s friendship and when they are shipwrecked they must all cling to every faith in themselves, and each other, to survive.


Jaffy is a strong character.  He is well-written and the author gives a clear insight into the mind of an eight year old, and then a fifteen year old.  He deals with love, family and friendship everyday, and enters into the ship’s adventure with all the excited innocence of a young person.  As the story progresses, his innocence is lost forever and the choices he makes clearly effect him.  He grows up faster than he should and is forced to face the world from a different perspective.  I wasn’t sure how I would relate to Jaffy – most of my books feature female characters – but as I read I found myself cheering him on and crying with him.  As the youngest on board the ship he seems to have the most to learn, but it is he who really seems to hold the group together.

Tim is Jaffy’s dearest friend, and sticks by him through the menagerie and the ship’s adventures.  They take care of each other, and the bond is totally believable – they are like brothers.

Mr Jamrach is a mysterious man, who is infact hardly in the book.  He is there to bring Jaffy into the world of exotic animals and light the spark of interest in the wider world.  He brings an exciting edge to Jaffy’s life and reminded me of Willy Wonka – though not as over the top.

The other men on the boat are all tied together in their quest to first find the dragon, and then to survive.  Enough is told about each that you care what happens, but they are essentially side characters helping Jaffy to grow and learn about himself.


This book is one which changes from what you’re expecting, and it gets intense very quickly.  I felt like I was on the boat with the crew and could not get off.  It was a book which I enjoyed, but at the same time I did find it hard to read when the characters were stranded and struggling to survive.  It was great to be surprised by a book and for it to be completely different to my expectations.

Read this book if you want to be transported to the past and live an experience you won't get in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment