Sunday 5 January 2014

The Book Thief

The Book Thief 
by Markus Zusak

First published in Great Britain in 2007.


I have to start by being honest – I bought 'The Book Thief' after seeing the trailer for the upcoming film.  I didn’t do any research into the story; I just went and bought it at the first opportunity.  For me, a story about how books and reading can affect people was one I knew I wanted to read.

The story takes us through the years of Nazi Germany, and is narrated by Death.  Focusing on a young girl named Liesel, it follows her experiences and those of the people on her street as war takes hold.  Liesel steals books, and it is the impact each theft, and each book, has on her that weaves through the day-to-day life.



I was a bit sceptical of this book at first; I didn’t see how Death could narrate in a way I would connect with, but I was happily proved wrong.  As I read, Death became more of a caring creature over-seeing everybody than as a scary ‘Grim Reaper’ type.  Certain ideas about the Holocaust, for example, are so subtly written they seem to almost slip by but then just in time your brain realises what was meant.  It was this style that I particularly liked; nothing was ‘in your face’ horror, but the different sides of the war were all there.

Character-wise, I felt that Liesel was well-written and her personality developed in a believable way.  Even though she was aged between nine and fourteen, she didn’t seem this young – but I feel like her experiences made her grow up faster.  Although when she is playing hopscotch and skipping you remember she is a young girl.


Her parents were a brilliant pairing.  Her Papa is one we all wish we had; a silvery eyed accordion player who lets her get away with everything.  Her mother is the much-needed rule – maker and enforcer, but of the two I felt she was developed more.

Liesel's friend Rudy is a seemingly pretty straightforward character.  He gets up to the expected mischief of a pre-teen and then teen boy.  However to me, it was more his impact on Liesel that was the reason for him being there.  Likewise the mayor's wife.  As a standalone woman she doesn't do or say a lot, but she does play a key role.

The rest of the characters all lent enough to the story; I cared about each one enough but not so much that it distracted me from Liesel, and Death.

The story is a wonderful one about friendship, the power of words, fear and hope.  Although it doesn't really seem to be aimed at a particular audience, I think older and younger adults would enjoy the story and be able to relate to the characters.  A page-turner from start to finish.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my street - will definitely add it to my bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it is such a good read. I hope you enjoy it - let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete