Monday 13 January 2014

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale
by Margaret Atwood

First published in Great Britain in 1986.


I first read The Handmaid's Tale as part of my college course, so I felt like I knew it inside and out after having written essays galore about the various aspects.  Usually studying a book puts me right off it, but I bought my own copy of this one and have re-read it more times than I can count.

Set in a totalitarian and somewhat dystopian American future, The Handmaid's Tale tells the story of Offred.  In a world where hardly any women can have children those who can are seen as sacred, and assigned to a well-off, important family, to breed with the husband.  The book is written from Offred's point-of-view and tells of her day-to-day life as a Handmaid.  Her story is punctuated by flashbacks and memories of 'the time before' and her time in the 'Red Centre' - a sortof training school for would-be Handmaids.



I think this book is great mainly because as I read it, I didn't find the ideas totally unbelievable.  There is enough that is recognisable to life now to make the story seem like it could actually happen, or parts of it.  The religious aspects are very cleverly done, to not be overbearing but at the same time feel inescapable.

Offred  is so called because Fred is the name of the Commander whose house she is assigned to.  I found her to be a very realistic character, and she reacted exactly how I imagined I would in her situation.  She is mentally strong and clings onto a hope that things will change for her, but is cautious.

The Commander is a more complex character than he first appears; he seems concerned for Offred's welfare.
His wife does not want to get to know Offred at all, and we don't really know how she feels about the situation, but I did feel sorry for her having to have Offred live in her house and sleep with her husband.

Other characters known only as Moira, Nick and Ofglen left me with unanswered questions rather than answers.  This was how I felt throughout the book, but I didn't think it was a bad thing; it just meant I could really think about the story and wonder what I thought would happen.  
I won't give any details but the ending is one of my favourite's in a book.

If you want a book which will stay with you and make you think about our society, get your hands on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment